BIO OF MEMBER
To help educators use the technological resources available to them to create transformative educational experiences that meet the diverse needs of the students in their classrooms.
To learn more about the use of Makerspaces and Design Thinking to support curricular goals and learning targets. To improve in sketchnoting and share with educators and students visual note taking alternatives for the classroom.
Why are you part of the Lead Data Team?
I joined so that I could improve my own understanding of using data and research-based practices so that I could better promote those practices and philosophies in the training I deliver. It’s an opportunity to take a step back and look at what I’m doing through a different, more analytical lens. We don't always have the time or the opportunity, or even the reminder, in our day to day work.
EBP Action Research:
- Grade 6 Mathletics competition
- ELS (One to one technology integration
- Digital Citizenship
- Digital portfolios
- Breakout EDU
- Multimedia Production
- Programming and circuitry
- Connect, Empower, Transform
What improvement model(s) is (SB name) using?
What’s on your bookshelf?
- Couros, G. (2015). The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity
- Burgess, S., Houf, B. (2017). Lead Like a PIRATE: Make School Amazing for Your Students and Staff
- Spencer, J., Juliani, A.J. (2016). Launch: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student
- Highfill, L. (2016). The HyperDoc Handbook: Digital Lesson Design Using Google Apps
- Duckworth, S. (2016). Sketchnotes for Educators
- Pillars, W. (2015). Visual Note-Taking for Educators: A Teacher's Guide to Student Creativity
- Novak, K., Rose, D. (2016). UDL Now!: A Teacher's Guide to Applying Universal Design for Learning in Today's Classrooms
- Burvall, A., Ryder, D. (2017). Intention: Critical Creativity in the Classroom
- MacKenzie, T. (2016). Dive Into Inquiry: Amplify Learning and Empower Student Voice
Title & roles:
Consultant for the ped integration of ICT and career development
Conferences & training attended:
- Launch Academy 2018
- EdTechTeam Yellowknife Summit & Geo tools workshop, 2017
- UDL-IRN, 2018
- Google Innovator Academy, 2016
- ISTE, 2015
What could you spend hours talking about?
Getting students to create. Creating with technology, not just consuming. Creating content and authentic audiences. Research shows that they produce far beyond what they produce in class. It’s not enough to be a consumer. Beyond technology, cardboard and duct tape - problem solving is so important. Design thinking and using all the feedback we get.