BIO OF MEMBER
I was always interested in how students learn. I’m now interested in how teachers learn and how we can help them improve their practice. I’m interested in the link between being a professional and accountability.
Why are you part of the Lead Data Team?
It’s nice to know that other people beyond your board are working on the same things. It’s stimulating and invigorating.
EBP Action Research:
Riverside is working on a success team initiative to empower teachers to form a coalition, supported by and involving whole school teams, in order to make changes and create improvements in student success.
- Presenter - International Reading Association International Conference, 2012
- Presenter - National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) annual conference, 2011
What improvement model is RSB using?
Collaboration - understanding what it is and why it’s so important. The importance of talk and reflection.
What's on your bookshelf?
- Serafini, F., Gee, E. (2017) Remixing Multiliteracies: Theory and Practice from New London to New Times
- Williams, K., Hierck, T. (2015) Starting a Movement: Building Culture From the Inside Out in Professional Learning Communities
- Palmer, P. (1997) The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life
- Beers, k., Probst, R. (2013) Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
Title & roles:
- Education Consultant; English Language Arts (ELA), History & Work Oriented Training Path (WOTP)
- 2008-2013 - Ministry of Education, implementation team for ELA; secondary team lead
What could you spend hours talking about?
I’m passionate about education. I’m so lucky that it’s my job and that I’m surrounded by like-minded people that believe in the same things, foremost, that all kids want to learn, succeed and be loved.