BIO OF MEMBER
I would like contribute to bridging the gap between research and education through regular work with teachers that examines how research applies to classroom settings. I would also like to develop my understanding in fostering teacher’s skills used to learn from teaching.
Why are you part of the Lead Data Team?
The seminars and LDT projects provide opportunity to explore research on evaluating the effectiveness and impact of professional development. Also, because of the seminars, we are able to receive the feedback and support needed.
EBP Action research:
Examining the impact of PLCs created to improve student learning in the academic consolidation option.
- Coordinator, Summer Math Institute, including 2 follow-up workshops, support through a PLC and classroom visits.
- Coaching teachers through a PLC model
- Non-Violent Crisis Prevention Intervention Training (CPI), 2017- ongoing
- Elementary Math Support Workshops for teachers
- Rayner, V. (June, 2016). Developing preservice teachers’ professional noticing of students’ learning. Proceedings of the 40th annual meeting of the Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group. Kingston, Ontario.
- Rayner, V., Bernard, R., & Osana, H. P. (April, 2013). A meta-analysis of transfer of learning in mathematics with a focus on teaching interventions. Paper presented at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, California.
- Rayner, V., Osana, H. P., & Pesco, D. (2013). A comparison of instruction that develops preservice teachers’ specialized content knowledge of division with fractions. In M. V. Matinez, & A. C. Superfine (Eds.) Proceedings of the 35th annual meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education, 853-856. Chicago, IL: University of Illinois at Chicago.
What improvement model(s) is SWLSB using?
- Collaborative Inquiry
Who Inspires you in education?
- Dr. Helena P. Osana - Associate Professor, Education, Concordia
- Deborah Loewenberg Ball - Educational Researcher
Title & roles:
Pedagogical consultant, Mathematics
Conferences & training attended:
- October 2017. Learning-focused Supervision. Laura Lipton.
- Three PD sessions in 2015-2016. Never Underestimate your Teachers: Instructional Leadership for Excellence in Every Classroom. Robyn R. Jackson.
What’s on your bookshelf?
- Sherin, M. G., Jacobs, V., & Philipp, R. (2011). Mathematics teacher noticing: Seeing through teacher’s eyes. Routledge, New York.